Called to serve Feb 2016

Tuesday 19 April 2016

"That's not the language they taught me in the MTC".

Szervusztok!

So I'm finally in Hungary and what a ride it has been to get here.

So our final week in the MTC was so crazy, so I guess I'll give you all a brief overview before I talk about Hungary. The first couple days were pretty ordinary, just getting pumped to leave and stuff, but by Thursday everything got crazy. Thursday was our in-field orientation and it was pretty weird to be honest, it was basically 9 hours of cramming us with the things that they didn't teach us in the MTC (well besides like 98% of the language) and it even included a super weird/cheesy play. Then Friday, or Nem jó, Nem jó, Pizza Péntek as we like to call it, which started out like any normal friday. But on Friday night, Gabel Elder got up in front of all of us to tell us that because of a medical issue and Hungary's lack of great medical care, he wouldn't be coming with us, and that was hard. As far as we know he will join us out here soon, but not having him on the plane with us just felt weird. Saturday was basically our day for our teachers to hype us up about going to Hungary, so I loved that one. Also got that sweet tie that I sent a picture of the other day. Then Sunday was sad, lots of goodbyes, handing over our phone, writing in transfer journals and packing but we were ready to go and we were excited.

Monday
So I was pumped to fly with my district for the next day or so, until I found out that I wouldn't actually be sitting with my district because I got seperated for some reason. But I ended up with a cool experience out of it. I sat next to this guy on our flight to Atlanta who I chatted to for a bit because he was a pilot and studied Aerospace engineering. Then later on he saw me reading my copy of Jesus the Christ and asked if what it was, after I explained it to him he asked if he could read it. So he read it for an hour and a half, then when he finished I asked him if he had any questions and we ended up talking about the gospel and stuff for like 40 minutes. Also people paid for both our breakfast in SLC airport and our lunch in ATL airport, so that was super cool too.

Tuesday
So we arrived in Hungary, all super tired, and met with our Mission president, President Szabadkai, his wife and the Assistants. We were all just stoked to be there and the mission president took us on a scenic route to the mission home so we could see a bunch of Budapest, which is an incredible city, so pretty. We went out to lunch in a Hungarian restaurant, had interviews with president, talked to some people on the street, the day was pretty sweet. Then that night Sister Szabadkai made us a Hungarian dinner, then we got to go up to the hill which overlooks the whole of Budapest. It was absolutely incredible, one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Then we got to spend the night in a hotel, which was sweet.

Wednesday
Today was the day that we got our companions and greenie areas. I was given Elder Jensen as my trainer and I'm serving in the area of Pest. So I get to start out my mission in the city. The first day was pretty cool, my first lesson was with a member named Margit, who I just so happened to have skyped with during one of our TRC's in the MTC, so that was really cool. Hungarian is hard though. Our second lesson I got to extend a baptismal invitation to this guy in his first lesson and he accepted, he was super prepared for the gospel, he already knew everything. Then we had American night (the name is getting changed because of me apparently) so I got to meet some members and investigators as well as eat some PB&J's.

Thursday
Interesting day, had some lessons fall through, did some tracting, taught english class. A pretty normal missionary day. Except we got back to our apartment super late and President Szabadkai called us at like 9:30 and we weren't back yet, so that was fun. Oh we also got super lost today.

Friday
Had district meeting and Lunch with the Bishop. Hungarians really like Yiros so I'm pretty keen for more of those in the future. Just more tracting and stuff, nothing too interesting.

Saturday
Saturday was cool, we went to a city called Vác which is in our area and met with some investigators out there. The first house we tracted we talked to the lady for 30 minutes and gave here a BoM and stuff. Then we taught a super long lesson to one of our other investigators. Then of the 3 people we got to talk to on the way back to the train, we placed 2 BoM's and got a return appointment, so it was a sweet day.

Sunday
So church is hard when you don't understand a thing anyone is saying, and when you have a lot of meetings to go to, but it's an all round pretty cool experience. I'm definitely excited to be able to actually understand people though.

Then today we had to go to a city called Veszprém to get some residency stuff sorted out for my companion, so it was way cool to get to see another one of the cities, especially one of the smaller cities.

So that's my adventures in Hungary so far.

Sok szeretettel (With much love)
McKim Elder




No comments:

Post a Comment