Called to serve Feb 2016

Tuesday 1 March 2016

The days are long, the weeks are short

Sziasztok!

Wow! I can't believe we're already another week down, the days are long and the weeks are short here. But you're never short on experiences.

On Wednesday we lost an important part of our class, our first teacher Rupard Nőver. It was really having her as a teacher because she was companions with Watts Nőver when she served in Hungary (possibly got trained by her, not sure about that one) so that was cool. But she had to move to Vermont and so she couldn't teach us anymore. She ended up speaking to us in English about some of the experiences that she had on her mission though which was really cool because it was really the only time we ever actually heard her speak English.
I also got my first mail on Wednesday (including my new Hungary Budapest mission shirt) so that was cool too.

My companion broke his arm the Saturday before we got here while he was snowboarding up at Snowbird, so it's been a fun experience working with that the last couple weeks but he gets his cast off on Friday so all will be good then. My whole district is going to Hungary, all 10 of us. It was bigger than I had expected but it's been way good I'm loving my district. The Turkish elders in my Zone have only the two of them in their district and they said it kind of sucks, so I'm glad that we got a pretty decent sized district.

Friday was an awesome day. So we started it off by getting to take a trip to Temple Square, which even though it was a pretty short trip (only like 50 minutes) it was still great to get out of the bubble for a bit and see some of the great sites in temple square. Then when we got back we had to teach our first TRC, which is basically where you teach member lessons to real members who volunteer at the MTC. We had been freaking out for a couple days because these were just random people (although probably returned missionaries) who could actually speak Hungarian that we had to teach. When we got in there though it was actually super chill and really easy, all we had to do was get to know them a bit, read some scriptures and ask some jó kérdes (good questions) and it was sweet. Our second member though turned out to be an actual Hungarian girl that was going to BYU, which kind of freaked us out because she was talking so fast, but it ended up going pretty well and it turned out that her Dad was the first stake president in Hungary and currently serves as first counselor in the mission presidency, so that was cool.

Sundays in the MTC are so awesome! Yesterday I was of course called up to be the first of the Hungarians (along with Swenson Nőver) to speak in sacrament meeting and that's in Hungarian. So that was a fun experience to start off my sunday. Then we had our branch president, President Mehr, come into our district study and just talk about doctrine for 2 hours, which is an incredible experience. President Mehr knows so much about the doctrine of the church and loves to share it with us, he doesn't mince words either so it's incredible to listen to him speak and I learn so much from him every time he does. Then my companion and I taught priesthood which isn't that interesting. Then temple walk, choir, devotional and movies. The days just get even more incredible. The movie we saw last night was an MTC devotional from Elder Holland called "Missions are forever" I wish I could get all of you to watch the MTC devotionals somehow because they're incredible but I don't think they're available.

The last thing I wanted to talk about was Tuesday night. Tuesday night was absolutely perfect, nothing could have made it better. We had a devotional from Sister Wixom who is the Primary general president and because of that the choir got to sing with all the grandchildren of the MTC presidency which was super cool and really invited the spirit. Then Sister Wixom spoke and she said some incredible things that really got me thinking. But the part that was really great was after the devotional. Every tuesday night we have a district devotional review for about an hour or so. This week we happened to not have a member of the branch presidency in with us but it was good because I think it allowed people to be much more open with what they were sharing during review, the spirit was super strong the entire time, probably the strongest I've felt it since I've been here, it was such an incredible experience.

So that's all for this week.

Sziasztok! Szeretem titeket! (I love you all)

- McKim Elder

PS. the photos are my companion and I in front of the Christus statue in Salt Lake, then the Elders from my district who were at temple square in the bathroom of the conference centre, then my companion and I in the conference centre.



No comments:

Post a Comment